Friday, February 3, 2012

Better Late Than Never

Across The Pedernales   8 x 10      oil


















We had hiked into a Hill Country woods, following a creek in search of a subject to paint.  The creek was completely covered by tall cottonwood, cypress and oak, but kept promising an opening view just ahead…for about forty five minutes.

When we reached the end of the trail, it opened onto a sparkling view of the Pedernales River (pronounced Perd'nales by local folks).  Looking up river, to my left, I could see the sun was already just above the horizon in the "V" of the foliage on either side of the river.  Hmm.  Getting late.  To paint or not to paint?  Go for it!  This one was truly a race against time.  I set up, focused on two cypresses whose limbs gracefully pointed downstream, as the result of so many flooding torrents that rip through this shallow part of the river.  What moved me was the illumination of the sun on the bare bones of the winter cypress, and the vibrant golden greens of the shallows against the dull cool backdrop of the the trees higher on the bank.  I would have liked to linger a bit longer, but there was no time.  It would soon be dusk in the deep cut of the river valley.  Well, I thought to myself as I do about so many things at this point, better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment