Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Trip to Big Bend.

Santa Elena Quiet    8x10     Oil
I just returned from a week long painting trip to Big Bend National Park, and the surrounding vicinity.  This was a trip made with my painting friends in the Outdoor Painters Society.  I was there for five days with around twenty-eight motivated, plein air painters!  I was able to do ten paintings while I was there.  Five or six of them will probably be the basis for larger compositions.

The one here was done in the afternoon at Santa Elena Canyon.  The scale of the place is massive.  The canyon walls ascend hundreds of feet above Terlingua Creek.  I did a morning painting of the canyon from further back to take in the entire opening, which I'll show you soon, but in this one I wanted to get an up close, more intimate impression.  It was mid-day, sparkling light, wonderfully fresh air and the silence was as massive as the canyon itself.

Well, it's time to make order out of the  studio, again, after being gone so long.

2 comments:

  1. I have been to this exact spot and remember the colors vividly! Lovely composition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, for stopping in, Debbie. You're my first commenter on my new blog! I was feeling pretty lonely. :)

    ReplyDelete