Thursday, February 9, 2012

Re-working Another Study

Swimming Hole  9x12    oil












Here's the re-worked plein air study I mentioned.  I've included the original (below), so that you could see what I started with.  The original study was done under less than ideal conditions. Which is often the case when painting outdoors.  You never know what will come up.  In this case, shortly after I had done my initial lay in of the light and dark shapes, the wind began to gust and clouds started moving in.  It started sprinkling, so I hurriedly did what I could before packing up and running for the car as a downpour started.

When I got back to the studio, and looked at what I had done, I was disappointed in many things about the painting, but the composition had things I liked and so I decided I would experiment with it to see what I could do.  Here's what I had.

The aborted field study
I had just gotten as far as laying in the big shapes, and beginning to work with temperature contrasts, when I had to flee.  Things were pretty well out of whack, but something about it left me wanting to try to do more with it.  It's been over a month since I painted the study.  I hadn't shot a photo before beginning, so I had to work from my memory of the things that had caught my attention.  The big dark pattern of the dam and retaining wall moving up into the tree.  The contrast of the sunlit hill behind and the transparent pool.  It's interesting what the brain does to edit a recalled image.

The re-work was fun to do, painting directly over the study at the same pace I would if I were painting outdoors, and I just went at it playing up the things I wanted to emphasize.  The results were encouraging enough to convince me that I want to go back for another try at the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment