Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Re-working A Field Study

Driftwood Post Office    8 x 10   oil

















I don't often do this, but I wanted to restate this little plein air study in hopes of improving it, using the memory of my first impression, my notes and a photo I took when it was painted.  I wish I could show you the first study, but I began painting over it before it occurred to me to use it as a post.

The results of my field studies are frequently not something I want to show.  They're done as a means to improving my skills, and not necessarily as finished work.  It's a happy bonus when I do come home with a nice one that I feel pretty good about.  In this case, frustrated by the first study, I put it on the easel in my studio and set about making direct changes to see what I could learn.  It came out much improved from the first version.  I was able to concentrate on what I wanted to do with the shapes, colors, and paint handling.

I'm about to do this same kind of exercise with another study, and I'll show you the before and after in my next post. …maybe.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up right down the street from here. Used to wait for the school bus in front of this building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Clay! I appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete