Thursday, April 12, 2012

Paint What You Want To See!

Spring Patterns    9x12    oil
It took me a long time to get that into my head.  The composition, design or arrangement in a painting is not in front of us, waiting to be painted.  The information is there in nature ready to be exploited by our creative imagination.  The effects of light, color, shadows, the appearance of rocks, trees, water, ...whatever, is all there.  The scene may even suggest a composition that we choose to adapt, but we have to consciously arrange everything!  Music does not exist because we hear sounds.  Sound is the raw material which a skilled musician forms into harmonic intervals, rhythms, movements, melodies and so on.  In very few instances will we ever find a subject in nature that is "ready to go" as is.

While drawing skills are a wonderful tool for design, creating a painting is not primarily about rendering what we see.  Camera's do that, and have no soul!  Our job is to do everything we can to turn what is in front of us (behind us and beside us) into an entertaining visual arrangement on a two dimensional surface that expresses our awareness of beauty, emotion and life.

All that being said, I'm not going to break down what I moved, added, left out and exaggerated in my painting "Spring Patterns".  It's about the patterns I found out in the Spring landscape.  Oh, except for one thing.  Here, in Texas, we have Bluebonnets in the Spring.  There were none in the landscape before me.  I added their lovely blue notes as part of the Spring patterns I wanted to see in my painting.  Do you really care?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment