Sunday, June 24, 2012

A PLACE TO BE

Hilltop Perch   18x14    oil on linen
I don't think I've ever done a painting that includes people, or a place for them to be, that hasn't given me some second thoughts about how successful it is.  There's just something odd about what it does to the viewing of the painting.  Besides becoming part of the painting's design, I'd like it to function as an invitation to come into my painting and look around.   I know some people like the human touch, they've told me so.  The feeling of this place had everything about it that usually makes me want to paint, and the chairs seemed right, so I jumped in.

I just can't make up my mind whether the chairs are an enhancement or a detraction.  I know I enjoyed painting all that rich, reflected afternoon light, and it was a worthwhile exercise.  I'll have a look at it, again, after I get some distance on having painted it.

2 comments:

  1. I like the chairs in the painting. I've always been attracted to paintings with empty chairs in them - don' know why. I also like the lighting in this painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I appreciate your visit. Seems to be a divide when it comes to viewers who like seeing people and their things in a landscape, and those who prefer pure nature. I happen to like them both, but they do present different feelings, and I guess feelings are what paintings are about.

      Delete