Tuesday, July 31, 2012

HUMBLED BY THE CHALLENGE

OLD ROCK CABIN     9X12     oil on canvas panel
100+ degree temperature, insects that were barely discouraged by my Deep Woods Repellent,  a subject entangled in foliage and deadwood limbs.  I'm not making an excuse!  I'm talking about plein air painting in late july, in the Texas Hill Country.

I let it get to me.  I started with the best of intentions, and was enthusiastic about the subject, but 45 minutes into the painting I was being overcome by the circumstances, and I fell out of inspiration land.  I finished, because that's part of the game for me.  Do your best, and learn what you can.  No one painting defines your ability, and it's good to be overcome now and then.  It strengthens your resolve and makes you look deeper for what it takes to meet the challenge.


4 comments:

  1. Good reminder! I needed it. Even so, your painting turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tempy! Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. Your still life close-ups are very beautifully done. Nice work!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful painting. I can't believe you were out there in that kind of weather. Of course, I complain when it gets over 85 degrees and there are no bugs. Your tenacity is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy. I visited your blog ( http://nancygoldmanart.blogspot.com/ ). You' have a wonderful sense of design. I'll drop in and take a more thorough tour. Thanks, for commenting.

      Delete