Friday, August 3, 2012

DO THE WORK

PEDERNALES RIVERBANK   8X10  oil on canvas panel
It's August.  It's hot.  The insects are in full bloom.  I didn't particularly want to hike into the park and paint today, but I need to get out and make paintings. Just like a musician needs to practice scales, arpeggios, and all that goes into being prepared to make beautiful music when it's time to perform.

Some plein air paintings are nice enough to frame and sell, others are just about doing the work.  If you get out and paint regularly, you get past feeling like every painting has to be a success.  It's a necessary exercise, a way of staying in shape to paint, and the only way to develop the skills to improve.  So, with or without inspiration, I need to do the work, and I love it!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, excellent reminders and very nice painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, very much, Celeste. I went to your new website. Impressive range of work!

    ReplyDelete