Saturday, October 27, 2012

GOOD THINGS HAPPEN! GROWING - SELLING - WINNING!

HWY. 90 BRIDGE    12x16     oil on canvas panel
I was gone all last week, painting in the Columbus Paint Out, 'Paint Texas History', Plein Air Competition.  I don't have a laptop, so I haven't been able to post.  This is one of the paintings I'm entering in the competition and show.  I usually do paintings 6x8 up to 9x12 when painting plein air.  I decided to push things a bit and did "Hwy. 90 Bridge" as my first attempt at a 12x16 plein air painting.  I like it, but as usual my compulsive nature went overboard.  I tried to get too much information into the painting.  I'll be working on doing a better job of simplifying, doing more of these larger paintings outdoors.  It's fun and very good exercise.  I'll follow up with my other entries in the next few days, and let you know what happens, no matter how things turn out.

When I got back to the studio, I had good news waiting.  My phone messages told me I had sold another painting through Austin Street Gallery in Rockport, Texas. Nice!  Pays for my trip to Columbus!  Then, I checked my email and learned that I have been awarded Best In Show in this years Outdoor Painters Society Associates Showcase for my painting "Morning Walk"!  I'm honored and gratified to have received this recognition from this group of very talented and accomplished outdoor painters.
Morning Walk    8x10   oil on canvas panel
Please, forgive me for blowing my horn a bit, here.  (My mom used to say, "It's a poor dog that won't wag its own tail.")  But, it is nice to receive the positive reinforcement.  Sometimes we feel that we're just in our studio working away unnoticed, and then - some GOOD THINGS HAPPEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment