Saturday, February 16, 2013

GO WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT

FROM RAINEY STREET   9x12  oil on canvas panel
I decided to go downtown this morning to paint, for a change.  I'd do it more often, but the traffic is hellacious.  So, Saturday a.m., and I headed in.  Started at 9 o'clock and gave myself one hour to get whatever I could.  Why?  Because, I have a tendency to over noodle architectural subjects. They're loaded with all kinds of detail that just seem to be part of what I have to capture.  Not so?
As it turned out, I bit off more than I could chew, but I think that's a good thing to do when you're out going for it, plein air.  I mean, how many of 'em are really destined for exhibition?  For me that time is about stretching outside the comfort zone and having to pull up whatever tools you've managed to gather.

It was cold, and I had begun to regain feeling in my fingers just before my hour was up.  I was tempted to keep noodling it, but stuck with my commitment.  Plein air painting is very much like surfing.  You see a possible ride coming, and you've got to start paddling hard to catch the wave.  You don't really know how it's all going to work out.  You've got to go with what you've got.  By the time you get on your feet it's a delicate balance between survival and catastrophe.  Your skills and weaknesses are exposed and you wind up feeling alive and in the moment.  Addictive stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment