Friday, February 1, 2013

RE-COMPOSING A STUDY

JANUARY AFTERNOON   12x16   oil on linen panel
I really enjoyed doing this painting.  The foreground rocks lying in shade, the sunlight strafing in from the left illuminatig the bare twigs and branches, the strong  mid-ground colors and muted distance, all these things made this a nice challenge.

While everything in the scene was actually there, I re-arranged things to make it into a balanced composition.  For instance, the foreground tree was out of frame left,  the creek was absolutely littered with rocks (chaos), and the two other trees were placed for balance and depth.

The other thing about this one has to do with how I handled the values.  I think I'll wait and write about this another time when I can better explain whats going on.  I'll be trying the same approach with some new subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment