Monday, July 29, 2013

BEACH DREAMIN'

Man-o-war   16x12 oil on canvas
Designed from an incidental pose lifted from one of my beach photos.  The little girl had not been the focus of the original photograph, but I discovered her in the background.  It caught me, immediately, as having potential.  I couldn't tell what was actually looking at as she stood under her frilly umbrella examining whatever was being left on the beach by the withdrawing tide.  I scooted over the shadow of a large beach umbrella (the original focus) to provide the dark shape to help balance the pattern.

I couldn't resist playing up the drama a bit by making the object of her cautious investigation a man-o-war.  Having the composition and value pattern solved, it was only left to paint the arrangement in dreamy colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment