Friday, January 16, 2015

DEVELOPING A STUDIO PAINTING

Here's another five-step sequence of the studio painting I did today.  This is from my plein air study and the photo I shot when I started the painting.  I have moved things around to create a focal area and value pattern that is the basis for my idea in this painting.  The morning light was beautiful, and I wanted to capture the natural freshness of the scene.
STEP 1_ You can see my pencil drawing that I used to transfer my design.  I applied a thin wash of burnt umber and transparent earth red cut with mineral spirits, to take away the white canvas and start the color in the direction I want to go.  I placed the transparent red
 oxide in the area of my focus.
STEP 2_ I laid-in the value pattern with a mix of ultramarine blue and permanent alizarin slightly thinned with Liquin.  At this point, I just want something cool in temperature and dark enough to represent the mid-range darks along with a few darker accents. 
STEP 3_ I estimated the general color and values of the background mountains and sky.
STEP 4_ Develops the general color and value in the rest of the light in the mid and foreground areas.
STEP 5_ Shows the finished painting.

DESERT RIVER
©Jimmy Longacre 2014
16x20 oil on canvas panel
 Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment