Friday, March 27, 2015

WHEN TO STOP?

This was completed, originally, as a study, and then evolved in the studio. Something I will commonly do in my process, unless of course, I am participating in a competition that asks that paintings be completed entirely on sight. That's a demonstration of a particular painting skill that surely has great value.  However, for me my objective is not a particular technique argued for by "purists".  I'm attracted by the act of interpretation.  Some interpretations are quick as a sandwich, while others are simmered in the crockpot.

I value my outdoor studies as the gathering of information for my own interest and imagination. Some of them remain just as they happened, but I have no rules to limit what I may choose to do to a painting.  Most of the time, I'm not painting to create a product.  I am evolving experiments concerning things that I am interested in for one reason or another.  Painting "en plein air" is a wonderful tool, and the fastest way I know of to improve painting skills.  However, some seem to want to raise it to an immutable style deriving its worth from the fact that it was accomplished out of doors.  I fail to see the value in that position. 

COLOR OF A DREAM
©Jimmy Longacre 2015
9x12 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings

MY WEBSITE
MY BLOG: Paintbox & Easel

GALLERY LINKS
Fredericksburg Art Gallery Fredericksburg TX
Mustang Island Art Gallery Port Aransas TX
Capital Fine Art Gallery Austin TX

No comments:

Post a Comment